Saturday, June 14, 2014

Clapper Day in Connecticut!

Our Trip

First we went to a school in Connecticut to find Cliff Swallows and there 1000s of bugs trying to get us. We walked through the woods and we made it to a sandpit spot. We saw tree, bank, and barn swallows but no cliff swallows and there were still more bugs. We also saw an Indigo Bunting. Great Blue Herons flew over us. The sign was funny because it said Old Maids. Just like Old Maid the game. Then we to the coast and saw Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Glossy Ibis and i kept trying to take pictures of the Great Egret when it was getting a fish but everytime i was ready it stopped doing it. 
Then we went to a park and got Purple Martins when we first got there. There were Fish Crows and Boat-tailed Grackles but we missed the Little Blue Heron. We also got Marsh Wren when we were there. We also saw 1 Dunlin and 2Semipalmated Sanpipers and I was pretty lucky because they were both at the same spot together. I got photos of lots of birds! Then we went to our next spot that wasn't even on our trip to go to. We walked on the boardwalk and we walked past it to the beach and we saw an island! Then we went back to the boardwalk and we thought we failed because it was getting dark and we needed to go home and then the Clapper Rails came. They were calling loud! I got some good pictures!

Checklists


New Year Birds
225DunlinHammonasset Beach SPUS-CT10 Jun 2014
226Semipalmated SandpiperHammonasset Beach SPUS-CT10 Jun 2014
227Purple MartinHammonasset Beach SPUS-CT10 Jun 2014
228Marsh WrenHammonasset Beach SPUS-CT10 Jun 2014
229Clapper RailSilver Sands SPUS-CT10 Jun 2014

Lifers
239DunlinHammonasset Beach SPUS-CT10 Jun 2014
240Semipalmated SandpiperHammonasset Beach SPUS-CT10 Jun 2014
241Purple MartinHammonasset Beach SPUS-CT10 Jun 2014
242Marsh WrenHammonasset Beach SPUS-CT10 Jun 2014
243Clapper RailSilver Sands SPUS-CT10 Jun 2014


Fish Crow by Owen!

Semipalmated Sandpipers and Dunlin by Owen!
 Boat-tailed Grackle by Owen!
 Saltmarsh Sparrow by Owen!

 Clapper Rail by Owen!
 Glossy Ibis, Snowy Egret and Great Egret by Owen!
 Great Egrey by Owen!
 Purple Martin by Owen!
Silver Sands SP by Owen!




after his lifer Purple Martin
Owen after his lifer Clapper Rail

after his lifer Semipalmated Sandpiper and Dunlin



after his lifer Marsh Wren

where we looked for the Cliff Swallows

Silver Sands SP

3 comments :

  1. Cutest and one of the most ambitious things I've read! I am a fledgling birder myself and am hooked! Good luck on your searches. I look forward to seeing where your adventures lead you and your dad and to what birdies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the birding Owen!
    Nice picture of a clapper rail. Ive yet to see those elusive birds. I have a photo book all about them (Rare and Elusive Birds) but never saw them in their habitat. Cool blog youve set up. I appreciated my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Owen! The fact that you're 6 and already this good is extremely amazing! I started birding young too, but not as young as you. I am 16 and started birding when I was 12. My latest lifer is Acadian Flycatcher and I just returned from a trip to see Kirtland's Warbler. I live in Michigan and my year list is in the high 100s.

    ReplyDelete