Friday, December 20, 2013

My Trip North For a Northern Hawk-Owl and Gray Jays

I woke up early at 4 in the morning yesterday to go with my daddy, Jessica Johnson, Joe Bourget, Mayn Hipp, and my grammy. I got ready and went on a 3 1/2 hour drive to way up in Waterbury Vermont (Waterbury Center, 137 Gregg Hill Road, Washington County, Vermont, US). We found Common Ravens. We found Snow Buntings (Toad Pond - Charleston (22 acres), Orleans County, Vermont, US eBird Checklist) and a Bald Eagle. And we saw a store that sold everything. and guns!

Trip Map





 When we got there I was able to look through a scope and see the Northern Hawk-Owl. It was awesome. It's body to me looked like a hawk and its head looked like an owl. we got a little closer to it while it was on a tree so I could see better and it was there for a long time. We then drived to a different place. (Wenlock WMA, Ferdinand, VT Moose Bog, Wenlock WMA, Essex County, Vermont, US eBird Checklist), Right when we got out of the car 2 Gray Jays flew into a tree close to us. We had food for them but they didnt come down and get it. when we were walking in the woods we saw some moose tracks. We found a Boreal Chickadee. we didnt see a Spruce Grouse or a Black-backed Woodpecker. my daddy wasnt happy about that. then we went home and when i got food in the car i fell asleep before i even started to eat it. my daddy will now post pictures on here and our checklists. My daddy also said that we got Red-breasted Nuthatches to. we also made it on the news up there! Northern Hawk-Owl News Story.  i cant wait for my big year to come!!

thank you for reading this message!

this is where we saw the Hawk-Owl

 Gray Jay
 Boreal Chickadee
 Northern Hawk-Owl

3 comments :

  1. I still have not seen a Gray Jay--I think they are very pretty.

    What an adventure you had. I like that you got up at 4 am--you are very determined and will do well in 2014, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this - what a gorgeous bird. I really like Gray Jays as well.

    I'm looking forward to reading about your Big Year! Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete